As part of our commitment to Quality in Tourism, we produce this Access Statement which provides detailed information about Longhouse. We trust this will assist you in making an informed choice about your holiday. The access statement is available at our website and a hard copy is held in the Visitors Information books at Longhouse. A copy can be made available in larger font size on request.
Please read our Terms & Conditions
Access Statement for Longhouse, Little Barugh
Longhouse is the original farmhouse building previously known as Westfield Farm. The original part of the house dates back to the 17th century and, although extensively extended and renovated over the years, the house still retains many original features. Please be aware that door and ceiling heights vary throughout. All details included in this Statement.
Our website, www.ryedalecottages.co.uk provides a description of the property; facilities available, and photographs of a number of rooms.
Bookings/enquiries can be made through the English Country Cottages links on the website, or directly to us by email, telephone, or letter. See Contact Details at the end of this statement.
All guests are provided with written directions to Longhouse and a copy of our current terms and conditions when a direct booking is confirmed.
Morrison’s, Asda, Lidl and Sainsbury’s Local Supermarkets at Malton; Coop and Lidl at Pickering.
The YO17 6UY postcode is served by Tesco, Asda, Waitrose and Sainsbury’s home deliveries.
Public house/restaurants in immediate vicinity
Golden Lion Inn, Great Barugh, 1 mile - Tel. 01653 668242
Ashfield Country Manor, Kirby Misperton, 1 mile - Tel. 01653 668221
Coastliner Bus Services to York, Leeds, and Whitby from Kirby Misperton, 1¼ miles from Westfield Farm. www.yorkshirecoastliner.co.uk Tel. 01653 692556
East Yorkshire Motor Services (EYMS), Scarborough and District, run service from Sutton Bank through Pickering to Scarborough. https://www.eyms.co.uk/ Tel. 01482 592929
Moorsbus run a comprehensive bus service around the North Yorkshire Moors and connects with scheduled Coastliner and EYMS.
http://www.moorsbus.org/ Tel. 01751 477216
Train services to Scarborough and York and onwards leave from Malton, 6 miles from Little Barugh. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ Tel. 03457 484950
North Yorkshire Moor Steam Railway runs between Pickering and Grosmont, with some through services to Whitby.
See website for timetables https://www.nymr.co.uk/
A number of local taxi services are available and details are in the Visitor’s Information books in Longhouse.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
Longhouse is accessed through the rear of the property via the gated driveway. Once inside the gate the driveway rises to a level paved parking area leading to the rear entrance door. The parking area can accommodate 3 vehicles, 2 of which allow guests to transfer from their vehicles into the property on a level surface.
You will be welcomed on arrival by Dorothy Ashton who will show you around the property and give you door keys.
You will be assured of a warm welcome at Longhouse with our well regarded Welcome Pack, including a bottle of wine; a basket of Yorkshire produce; milk; bread, and fresh flowers.
In the event of anticipated late arrival, or any special celebration requirements, further arrangements can be made on request.
The property is a typical example of a central passage Yorkshire Longhouse and consists of a kitchen with utility area and pantry leading into a Breakfast (‘Range’) room having a 19th century cooking range (non-operational), farmhouse table and chairs, church pew and sideboard. From this room to your right is the entrance door into the Stable Suite, originally used to house livestock, it has a hayloft (Mezzanine floor) reached by a space saving spiral staircase. Unfortunately, this staircase and mezzanine are unsuitable for guests with restricted mobility. On the Ground Floor there is a super king size bed and access to a wet room.
Back through the Breakfast room you enter the central hallway leading to the front door and to the hallway to the living/dining room and ground floor family bath/shower room. Two sets of stairs lead to 3 further bedrooms.
The hallway to the living/dining room has one step. A ramp can be fitted if required.
The downstairs bathroom consists of bath, step-in shower, basin and toilet.
The living /dining room has a log burning stove at one end and an Edwardian (not used) fireplace at the other.
Back into the hall, stairs lead to an upstairs landing and 2 bedrooms, each with an en-suite shower room: the ‘Victorian’ and ‘Travel’ rooms. Another stairway from the downstairs hallway leads through a door to the attic, ‘Duck’ room. This bedroom has restricted head room and unfortunately is unsuitable for guests with restricted mobility.
Details of each room are as follows.
- From the paved parking area the entrance door into the kitchen has a door width of 940mm and a clear opening of 850mm height 1900mm. The threshold is 20mm high leading into a tiled kitchen floor, the anti-ligature handle is at 999mm; mortise lock 993mm roller bolt night latch 1180mm.
- Fire extinguisher and blanket wall mounted 1200mm.
- Light switch at 1130mm.
- Worktops at 910mm.
- Rise and fall sections of work tops adjustable from910mm down to 650mm.
- Sink fitted in a rise and fall section of worktop 1200mm x 600mm.
- Sink tap monolever 525mm depth of reach.
- Second section of rise and fall worktop 850mm x 600mm with Power Tower for 3 240v Plugs and a USB socket at 460mm depth of reach.
- Range cooker with 2 side opening oven doors handles 440mm and 900mm, grill at 900mm.
- Range cooker hob 920mm high controls at 900mm.
- Hob extractor fan switch at 1550mm.
- Cooker isolating switch 1150mm high.
- Portable single induction hob is available if required.
- Smart induction microwave/cooker 530mm high with side opening door set inside kitchen unit.
- Fridge/freezer: fridge handle 850 high freezer handle 725mm high.
- Dishwasher controls 900mm.
- Waste bin in cupboard to left of sink.
Four recycle bins 800mm high are situated in the larder clearly marked for categories of waste.
- Opening from kitchen 950mm wide and 1980mm high.
- Worktop 920mm high.
- Sockets 1150mm high.
- Light switch 1150mm high.
- Electric consumer unit 1150mm high.
- Washer/dryer under worktop controls 800mm.
Breakfast (Range) Room
- Level access from kitchen into breakfast room.
- Opening 1200mm wide 1979mm high.
- Ceiling height 2000mm with beam at 1880mm.
- Sockets 450mm high.
- Light switch 1050mm high.
- Under stairs cupboard latch 1100mm high.
- Cupboard latches 800mm and 860mm high.
- Farmhouse kitchen table 770mm high and top surface 830mm x1830mm.
- Window seat 550mm high.
- Pew seat 440mm high.
- Sideboard 860mm high and top 860mm x430mm.
- Hallway to front door 900mm wide.
- Front door 1200mm wide and 1850 high.
- Threshold 30mm high.
- Front door lock 750mm high with bolts (optional) at 150mm and 1800mm.
- Front door leads onto a paved area with a front gate having a clear width of 900 mm.
PLEASE NOTE The front door can be used as a fire exit but the land after the front gate is grass common land.
- Level access from breakfast room into the Stable Suite which consists of a bedroom/sitting area, mezzanine (Hayloft) and a wet room.
- Two radiators with thermostatic valve
- Part ceiling height 2100mm with beam at 1900, rest of ceiling is vaulted.
- Door 950mm wide and 1820mm high having a clear opening of 930mm.
- Light switch at 950mm.
- Sockets at 450mm high.
- Super King size bed.
- Height to top of mattress 650mm.
- Bedside tables 650mm high, top 500mm x400mm.
- Bedside lights having in line switches.
- Two radiators with thermostatic valves.
- Chest of drawers 860mm high top 425mm x1000mm.
- Dressing table lamp with in line switch.
- Wardrobe draw handle 240mm high.
- Wardrobe doors handle 525mm to 1715 high.
- Wardrobe hanging rail adjustable from 900mm to 1725mm.
- Wall mirror 580mm x 1430mm 350mm from ground.
- Windows with remote control electric blinds.
- Window sill height 820mm.
- Space saver spiral stairs to Hayloft mezzanine (restricted headroom) in corner of Stable bedroom. The mezzanine has 2 easy chairs and small library, unfortunately unsuitable for guests with impaired mobility.
En-suite Wet Room
- Wet room design to fulfil Doc M Mobility Regulations.
- Access to wet room from the Stable bedroom, threshold is 25mm fall to tiled floor, underfloor heating with pre-set controls situated in the stable 1100mm high.
- Door clear width 880mm and 1980mm high.
- Anti-ligature handle and lock at 750mm high and robe hooks at 1500mm and 1800mm.
- Light switch is situated to the right of the door in the stable 980mm high.
- Shower light and fan operated by pull cord situated to the right of the door inside the wetroom 850mm high.
- Emergency pull cords are situated next to the toilet and shower with the alarm sounding in the kitchen. Alarm reset button is to the left of the door.
- Toilet seat at 480mm high with flush anti-ligature lever at 800mm high.
- Toilet roll holder attached to hinged support arm at 540mm high.
- Glass shelf next to toilet and basin 100mm x 450mm, 960mm high.
- Grab rail at 700mm high.
- Basin 720mm high with swivel waste and anti-ligature thermostatic tap 900mm high.
- Grab rails at either side of basin at 800mm high.
- Mirror 500mm x 1100mm above basin 800mm to bottom edge.
- Shower with curtains and fold away seat at 500mm high.
- Two thermostatically controlled shower heads one fixed at 2050mm high and one adjustable between 1200mm and 1600 high, these heads controlled by a manual lever at 950mm.
- Soap dish at 1050mm high.
- Drop down hinged support rail adjacent to shower seat.
- Dressing table at 770mm high top 450mm x 1200mm.
- Shaver socket at 1000mm high.
- Portable towel rail 850high x450mm high.
- Maximum weight for fold down shower seat is 125kg.
- Hallway from breakfast room to front door 900mm wide.
- Radiator with thermostatic valve.
- Hallway ceiling height 2000mm with one beam at 1850mm high.
- Hallway leading to rest of house, ceiling height 2050mm, lowest height 1975mm.
- To the left door at bottom of steps leading to the Duck bedroom.
- Door leading to bathroom 850mm clear width and 1850mm high.
- Hallway width at this point 950mm. and 880mm
- Hallway turns right to the living/Dining room and stairs to the Victorian bedroom and the Travel bedroom.
- End of hall one step 170mm high (portable ramp available).
- Light switch at 1200mm.
- Door clear width 850mm and 1850mm high.
- Light switch for bathroom on wall in the hall at 1000mm high.
- Pull cord for shower and fan inside bathroom at 1100mm high.
- Step into shower tray 125mm high.
- Shower controls at 1250mm high.
- Toilet 480mm high.
- Basin 800mm high.
- Bath 1700mm x 700mm, 600mm high.
- Heated towel rail 800mm wide and 900mm high.
Door at bottom of stairs 770mm wide 1700mm high leading to a restricted headroom attic bedroom the first low beam as you climb the stairs is at 1700mm and as you turn at the top of the stairs the second low beam is at 1560mm high. The third low beam is across the room at 1780mm high. The room has a vaulted ceiling, and includes a radiator, double bed, wardrobe, chest of draws, bedside tables, bedside lights with in line switches. Smart TV. A screened area with toilet and washbasin. This is the only carpeted bedroom. Floor level window having a restricted opening of 100mm.
- Door from hall 900mm wide and 2000mm high.
- Ceiling high 2050mm high with main support beam 1920mm high.
- Light switch 1050 high.
- Sockets 500mm high.
- To the right of the door in ‘the Forehouse’ there is a fireplace with a log burning stove.
- Dining table to seat eight.
- Fireside carver chairs.
- Two easy chairs, one high-backed chair, side tables with lamps coffee table, two standard lamps and bookcase.
- Two 3 seater leather sofas.
- Smart TV and Blu-Ray DVD player.
- Edwardian Fireplace (Not used).
- Two enclosed radiators.
- Window having a restricted opening of 100mm.
- Stairs lead from the downstairs hall to the upstairs hall. These stairs are 750mm wide with a central carpet runner.
- Upstairs hall 800mm wide and 2150mm high.
- Light switch at 1250mm high.
- Radiator with thermostatic valve.
Victorian Bedroom with en-suite shower room
- This bedroom has a King Size bed, dressing table with mirror, chest of drawers, chair, and bedside tables with lamps having in line switches.
- Vaulted ceiling.
- Double walk-in wardrobe.
- Victorian bedroom fire (non-operational).
- Door 680mm wide and 1820mm high.
- Latch 1200mm high.
- Light switch 1350mm high.
- Smart TV on an foldaway shelf
- Window has restricted opening to 100mm.
En-suite shower room
- Door 750mm wide and 1740mm high.
- Light switch for ensuite in bedroom 1200mm high.
- Pull cord in ensuite controls lights and fan in shower.
- Heated towel rail.
- Shower enclosure with step up of 300mm
- Shaver socket.
Travel Room with en-suite shower room
- This bedroom has a Super King bed, dressing table, walk-in wardrobe, chair, and console table. Bedside table with lamps having in line switches.
- Door opening is 710mm wide by 1800mm high.
- Light switch to left of door 1050mm high.
- Wall mounted smart TV.
- Radiator with thermostatic valve.
- Wall mirror.
- Windows have a restricted opening of 100mm
En-suite shower room
- Door 710mm wide and 1800mm high.
- Light switch in bedroom and at 1200mm high.
- Pull cord in bathroom controls the shower light and fan
- Heated towel rail.
- Shaver socket
- Shower enclosure with step up of 300mm.
There are seating areas outside both the front and back doors of the house.
At the front there is a garden with a table; two benches and two chairs. This seating area looks out over the Little Barugh village common.
At the rear of the house there is a table; two benches and two chairs. The seating area overlooks the enclosed courtyard and is covered by a canvas sail in summer.
A barbeque is available on request.
Longhouse guests also have use of the ‘Summerhouse’ in summer, accessed by a brick pathway leading from the house, past various outbuildings. This overlooks the meadow and the Hambleton Hills. The pathway is suitable for wheelchairs.
Visitors are welcome to walk the ‘meadow walk’.
The outside surfaces are shingle and stone pavers. Care should be taken, particularly in wet weather.
Heating is oil fired, radiator heating. Each radiator is thermostatically controlled.
The Stable Wet Room has electric under floor heating.
We provide table linen and towels, including kitchen towels & 2 beach towels.
Cotton dressing gowns and ‘mule’ style slippers are provided for use during your stay.
A signal can be obtained in the village for most mobile phones.
We provide a pay as you go mobile phone in case you can not get a signal from your provider.
Password will be provided.
Visitor information includes
- Guest Information Books.
- Safety and emergency information/operating instructions.
- places to go; things to do, and places to eat.
- A selection of brochures for popular local attractions
- Popular country magazine subscriptions
- Green credentials
Dalby (National) Forest Visitor’s Pass
A complimentary Pass is provided for your use during your stay.
A complimentary pair of tickets are available for you to use during your stay.
No pets are allowed, other than Guide Dogs
The premises and surrounding areas are designated Non Smoking areas.
Not provided or allowed in the property
Address: Mrs. Dorothy Ashton,
Westfield Farm, Little Barugh, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 6UY
Telephone: 01653 668144/mobile 07752 273357
Hours of operation:
Open all year. Weeks, Friday start. Winter breaks, 3 nights (from Friday) or 4 nights (from Monday), subject to availability.
Arrival time: 4pm
Departure time: by 10am
Emergency number: 01653 668144/mobile 07752 273357
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve.
If you have any comments, please phone 01653 668144, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
, or you can write to us at Westfield Farm.